Frequently Asked Questions

Because the Major Transfer Map for CS is brand new as of 2022-2023, deciding what degree path to work on can be confusing. Here is some advice and answers to questions:

I am just starting CS, what should I do?

Start working on the MTM. Completing it guarantees that you are on track to start as a Junior in CS at any school that accepts that MTM.

I am a year into working on the ASOT-CS, what should I do?

You may be able to switch to the new MTM based plan with a few changes to the courses you would take. If so, you may even find that completing the MTM reduces the number of credits you need to complete.

If changing plans won't work (maybe you already took science classes that do not match the MTM), or you just don't want to change plans, that is fine. Complete the ASOT-CS degree.

Why is the MTM better than the ASOT-CS?

The old ASOT-CS does not guarantee Junior standing in a CS department. It guarantees that your general ed courses are done, and that you have Junior standing in the university. But it does not guarantee that you have a 2-year/90-credit path to finishing up a CS degree.

If you carefully take all the recommended extra classes for the school you wish to transfer to, it is very possible to be on track to graduate in two more years after you transfer. But it requires careful planning and there are more "gotchas" that can prevent you from being on track.

Also, completing the ASOT-CS, along with the recommended "extra" courses for some transfer targets ends up being 100+ credits and very difficult to do in two years.

Why are there two varients to the MTM? Which do I do?

Schools that have significant focuses on engineering and research tend to require more math and more rigorous science courses. The Systems track of the MTM contains the courses needed to be on track in those kinds of programs. For students going to a school that does not have these requirements, it is not necessary to take the extra math or specific science courses. The Standard track leaves these courses out.

Which you pursue will be determined largely by where you want to transfer:

  • OSU / PSU / UO : Systems
  • WOU / SOU / EOU : Standard

But I don't know where I want to transfer! What should I do?

The suggested schedules for first year of the two tracks are the same. So you don't have to decide until the second year (or when you are ready to take advanced math and your science courses).

If you are not sure at that point, the Systems track is recommended to keep your options open.

The Systems track has all of the courses that the Standard track does except for WR122. If you complete the Systems track, you at worst have to complete one extra writing course if you go to a school that wants the Standard track.

If you complete the try to transfer to a school that wants the Systems track and have done the Standard track, you will be missing multiple math courses, a CS course and likely will have to take new scince courses. That will likely cost you an extra year in school.

I don't see class XXX at school Y. Why do I take it as part of the MTM?

The MTM is a statewide transfer agreement. Not every university has the exact same classes, but the MTM needed to be one package that they all accepted. That means sometimes there are courses in the MTM that you might not take if you were at the target school. Or you take class A that ends up counting as class B at your transfer target.

However, every class listed in the MTM WILL work towards your degree. Examples:

  • OSU does not have MTH232. But you take it as part of the Systems track of the MTM. If you transfer to OSU, it counts as an Applied CS Elective that you need to graduate.
  • CS205 transfers as CS271 at OSU, CS201 at PSU, and counts for a required 300 level class at UO.

Do I have to earn the MTM? What happens if I transfer without it?

The guarantee provided by the MTM (2-year path to finishing your degree) depends on completing the entire plan. If you transfer in without the complete package, you will need to transfer your individual courses to the university, then complete any remaining requirements.

Sometimes, this won't be too hard. If you transfer off missing one social science course - you would just need to make up that course. However, if you transfer without some of the CS courses, or without the right science or math courses, things will likely be much more challenging. You will likely not be able to start Junior year until you have completed your missing courses.